Home » British values » How to ‘Do Diversity’ with childminded children without getting it wrong

How to ‘Do Diversity’ with childminded children without getting it wrong

Welcome to our blog

Follow to receive articles by email on all aspects of childminding best practice and stay up to date with important changes in legislation affecting childminders.

So, you want to show Ofsted that you are “doing diversity” in your childminding setting. You’ve bought a black doll, and printed out a calendar of festivals for your wall.  Australia Day is coming up.  That sounds easy enough! You find a picture of a kangaroo for the children to colour and… phew, you have now done diversity.diversity awareness logo

Unfortunately, unless you or one of the children you look after happens to actually be Australian then Australia Day is, for the most part, completely irrelevant to most under fives. What is an “Australia” anyway, and does it have sharp teeth?

The reason childminders celebrate it is because it is safe. There is no fear that we can get Australia Day wrong and accidentally offend anybody. It is a token gesture that makes us look like we are celebrating diversity when in fact, by doing so, we are neatly avoiding the real issues.

I’m scared I’ll get it wrong

As childminders we often avoid many of the real diversity issues primarily because we don’t know what ‘message’ to tell the children. Subjects such as physical disabilities, Islam, skin colour, older people and different family types can be so difficult to address that rather than risk getting them wrong, we avoid talking about them entirely and pretend the differences aren’t there.

I believe that you can and should talk about real diversity issues with young children. Children ask questions all the time about the differences they see. If adults avoid children’s questions about race, gender, religion and disability then children will notice. They may come up with their own conclusions, even if those conclusions are wrong. Adults should talk honestly and openly with children about the differences that children see and ask about.

If you would like to explore diversity with childminded children then here are three practical places to begin:

1. Who am I?

Children first need to learn about their own identity – who they are and how they fit into their own families and communities – before they can begin to imagine their place in the big wide world. So your starting point with teaching small children about diversity is to help them to learn about themselves.

“All about me” sheets and self-portraits are ideal ways to get children to think about who they are. Are you a little boy or a little girl?  It is not until they are about three that many children will know the answer to that question. Sit the children down in front of a mirror and help them to add eyes and hair in the right colour. A pack of skin tone crayons is a good investment.

In doing so children learn that some things about them are the same as other children, but some things are different. Encouraging children to point out, notice and accept their different types and colours of hair and skin is the starting point for learning that others may be different… and that “different-from-me” is beautiful too.

1. What communities am I a part of?

Every child’s first and most basic community is his own family. In order to understand other people’s families and how these may be different from their own, children first need to think about their place in their own family. Today there are many types of families including traditional families, single parent families, same-sex parent families, adoptive and foster care families. Ask the children questions and record what they say about their families. Talking about the similarities and differences helps children understand how each family is unique and special.

our home display for childmindersYour childminding setting is also its own special little community. The changing friendships, the new children who come and go, all help the children to build into their identities the idea of belonging to ‘your home’.

It sounds obvious but displaying photographs of the children who come to your house will help the children to feel a sense of belonging there. Putting up displays that promote kindness and inclusion not only give a positive impression but can help to make your home community feel like a friendly and accepting place to be.

1. Displaying the right impression

welcome poster in many languagesEven though most children this age are too young to understand ‘Britain’ let alone ‘the world’, it is still ok to introduce the idea of ‘the world’ and that everyone is a part of it. It also gives a positive impression to the parents. Displaying welcome posters in many languages is a classic example but if possible try to make the languages relevant to the people who attend your setting, or to the people who live in your local community.

Playing music from a variety of cultures is great, including music with words in different languages. The more varied types of music that children are exposed to when they are small, the more they will enjoy music when they are older. Sampling food from different cultures is also fun for everyone.

It is also good to display photos that show racial diversity but it can be very hard to choose appropriate photos to display. It is not appropriate to show photos of children that reinforce stereotypes – for example, hungry children in Africa. It is also not appropriate to display pictures that show children wearing their ‘cultural’ rather than their ‘everyday’ dress. Children in Scotland certainly don’t wear kilts everyday any more than African children wear their ‘tribal’ clothing to go to school in. It can be very confusing to young children to see images that give the wrong impression.

diversity awareness posterThese pictures of British children are all appropriate to display at your home, to discuss with the children, and give the right impression of a racially inclusive setting. To receive your FREE A4 poster by email, sign up for my free quarterly newsletter using the orange box on my website and type ‘poster’ into the message.

Teaching children about diversity helps them to understand that people can be different and the same all over the world. It also helps them to build character that will last for their whole lives. As childminders, if we talk openly with pre-schoolers about the importance of diversity then children are provided with a model of openness that they will learn to imitate.

For more information on teaching diversity awareness to childminded children and for a Diversity Awareness Pack filled with practical activities you can do to promote difficult diversity topics in your setting visit http://kidstogo.co.uk/childminders/Diversity.html .

About Kay Woods and Kids To Go

Kay Woods Kids To GoKay Woods has been writing and selling childminding resources through her company Kids To Go since 2008. Her products include the Ultimate Childminding Checklist, the Learning Journey Plus for planning, observation and assessment and best practice resources promoting diversity and childminding in the great outdoors (Forest Childcare). She is the author of the Start Learning book set published by Tarquin and she writes the free quarterly Childminding Best Practice Newsletter.

Lots of places offer help to childminders. I provide solutions.

10 Comments

1. donnettehg@aol.co.uk says:

Thank you Kay.

A very good article.

Donnette

2. grandma_kar_ting_a_lings@aol.co.uk says:

Hi Kay.

Thank you for the email, as always it was very informative even though I have your Diversity Pack. I have purchased many of you e-learning packs and I have been meaning to message you after receiving your email regarding your e-learning course re: planning and observations. I had intended to sign up in September, but I had my inspection during the last week of term and now feel ok about the way I am observing and recording the children’s progress. This is, I have to say very much down to you and the help and advice you provide for childminders. I have only been childminding for 19 months and when I first started I felt like I was wading through mud, I felt very alone and unsure of what was expected of me, how to plan, observe and record progress. The support you make available was invaluable; I used everything you sent through to me and followed your example Learning Journey’s. Ofsted gave me `Good’, with `Outstanding’ features and although I was striving for `Outstanding’, I believe the judgement to be fair and am happy with my `Good’. I know that this probably wouldn’t have been the case if I hadn’t had the support you provide, so I would like to say a huge “Thank You”. Although I have now had my inspection I will still be following your expert advice, so please keep up the good work.

Many thanks again

Maria Cook

• Kay Woods says:

Hi Maria,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me with such a lovely message. I’m so pleased to hear that you were happy with the products and that you felt they helped you. Well done for getting good with outstanding features. I love getting emails like this first thing in the morning. I’ll be smiling all day =)
      All the best,
      Kay

3. Karen Dennis says:

I was lucky enough to be given a traditional Indian wedding outfit by a grandparent when I was child minding!

• Kay Woods says:

That sounds lovely Karen. I was once bridesmaid at an Indian wedding and afterwards I got to keep my sari. These days the kids use it as a tent x

4. jane nuttall says:

Hi Kay please can I have the FREE POSTER

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:27:24 +0000 To: janenuttall@hotmail.co.uk

Please follow Childminding Best Practice

Join 5,510 other subscribers

Tags

30 hours funding accident prevention for childminders Active learning activities Activities for childminders Are sausages a healthy food for children Are sausages banned for childminders art projects Autumn activity for toddlers British values burgers for children burgers for kids Can I give my childminded children sausages? Can I give my childminded kids sausages? Challenge characteristics of effective learning childminder childminder food business legislation childminder food safety childminder fridge thermometers childminder library priviledges childminders childminders and food childminders cutting costs childminders getting sick childminders healthy eating childminders with high expectations childminders working with parents childminding childminding activities childminding activity ideas Childminding and food Childminding best practice Childminding Best Practice Bumper Newsletter Childminding Best Practice Club Childminding Best Practice Newsletter childminding British values childminding business advice childminding closing gaps Childminding Competition childminding contract Childminding CPD Childminding Craft Childminding Crafts childminding directories childminding food receipts childminding healthy eating childminding hourly rates childminding humour Childminding Ideas childminding inspection Childminding Inspection Tips Childminding in wild spaces childminding marketing childminding news Childminding outdoors childminding outdoor spaces Childminding outings childminding paperwork childminding pay childminding planning childminding posters childminding prices Childminding quiz childminding recipies childminding risk assessment Childminding Road Safety childminding safety childminding self care childminding stranger danger Christmas cards COEL Communication with parents Competition conjunctivitis advice for childminders continual professional development for childminders covid cpd for childminders creating and thinking critically cultural capital Cultural capital for childminders cultural capital in the early years cyber-bullying Development Matters diarrhoea and vomiting advice for childminders dinosaur burgers dinosaur sausages display ideas for childminders Diversity diversity awareness for childminders diversity planning for childminders diversity poster Early years Early Years Autumn Activity Early Years cultural capital Early Years free activitiy early years inspection handbook Early Years Intent Early Years Maths Early Years Nature activity Early Years Observation Tips Early years planning Early Years safety tips Early Years science experiment Early Years Squirrel Activity Early Years stranger danger early years themes Easter Basket Easter craft Essential Childminding Documents Essential Early Years Documents Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision Exclusion periods for childminders EYFS EYFS Art Projects EYFS Documents EYFS Fathers' Day EYFS news EYFS transitions Fathers' Day Fathers' Day Childminding Activity fear of failure feeling lonely childminder filling childminding vacancies first aid food allergens childminders Forest Childcare Forest Childcare Association Free childminding activities Free Childminding Activity FREE Craft Activity fun burgers for children fun burgers for kids fun sausages fun sausages for children fun sausages for kids grooming guided self evaluation headlice advice for childminders Health and Safety Health and Safety Menu healthy burger recipe healthy burger recipe for children healthy burger recipe for kids healthy burgers for children healthy burgers for kids healthy children's sausage recipe healthy childrens burger recipe healthy childrens sausage recipe healthy cooking for children healthy cooking for kids healthy kid's burger recipe healthy kid's sausage recipe healthy kids burger recipe healthy kids sausage recipe healthy recipes for children healthy recipes kids healthy sausage recipe healthy sausage recipe for children healthy sausage recipe for kids healthy sausages healthy sausages for children healthy sausages for kids homework from my childminder hourly rate ideas Implementation and Impact inspection tips Integrated Review Intent Intentful Crafts intent implementation impact internet safety internet safety for childminders January Kids To Go ladybird activity ladybird craft Learning Journeys learning walk long term planning loose parts low fat burger recipe low fat burgers low fat sausage recipe low fat sausages low salt burger recipe low salt burgers low salt sauages low salt sausage recipe marketing for childminders mathematics mathematics activity mathematics observations maths maths activity maths obsertvation National Childminders Day Nature activity for toddlers Nature Deficit Disorder never go anywhere with a stranger never take gifts from strangers New Childminders New childminders tips New Childminder Tips news newsletter new to childminding New To Childminding Tips next steps Nursery Rhyme Craft observation observations Official Childminding Documents ofsted inspection Ofsted inspections British Values Ofsted Inspection Tips Ofsted self evaluation form omicron on-line safety advice for childminders Outdoor childminding parent questionnaires Parents Poster Partnership with Parents partnership working part time childminding planning planning checklist Playing and exploring poisonous garden plants poisonous plants on outings posters for childminding settings pre-school stranger danger pricing Progress Check Age 2 Quitting childminding radicalisation recipes for childminders reduced fat burger recipe reduced fat burgers reduced fat sausage recipe reduced fat sausages reduced salt burger recipe reduced salt sausage recipe reduced salt sausages reducing childminding hours resilience training risk assessment for chidminding outings risk assessment for childminding garden Road safety Running your childminding business safeguarding safer buildings safer food better business for childminders safer strangers Safety at Home Safety on Outings Safety Tips for childminders sausage recipe for childminders sausages for children sausages for kids Science activity SEF form SEF Model Answers Self-evaluation form tips self-reflective practice self evaluation short term planning spider activity spider craft Squirrel activity for toddlers star burgers star sausages Starting a childminding business Statutory framework for the EYFS staying healthy when you childmind STEM stranger danger Supporting children with change supporting learning at home teaching childminded children to concentrate teaching stranger danger to pre-school children tips Updated COVID-19 policy for childminders February 2022 urban Forest Childcare using themes welcome poster for childminders What food can I give childminded children What food can I give childminded kids What foods can I give childminded children? What foods can I give childminded kids? what is a stranger What to do if you are worried that a child is being abused: Summary why can't childminders give children sauasges? Why can't childminders serve sausages Why can't I give my childminded children sausages? Why can't I give my childminding children sausages? Why can't I give my childminding kids sausages? working in partnership with parents working with parents
%d bloggers like this: